Sunday 19 February 2012

First Time :: Performing! (Gamelan)

Yesterday was the big day, and since I have spare time at the moment, why not post about it?



It was a Wednesday when the small Gamelan-playing group was looking for substitutes. 

Gamelan had always interested me - especially the Kenong - but I was always too shy to ask for a turn. It might seem as if I was intruding, butting in when I had never played before. So each time they played, I could only quench my desire to play by listening to the beautiful sounds that echoed throughout the music room as they hit each note perfectly and at sync.

Loo-sensei wasn't much help in realizing my wish of playing. She mainly focused on the Gamelan-playing folk and usually, it was them who got to use the instruments. And although I did envy them slightly, it was nice for my ears to be able to feast into the melody of the well-skilled playing of the Gamelan. (does that make sense?)

So, that day, when fate had finally made an opening for me, I jumped in and took up the role of helping the group out. They generously let me choose which instrument I wanted to play or that I was good at. Of course my first choice was the Kenong and as fate would have it, it was the instrument that I was assigned to play.

Sometimes, we exchanged instruments and I got to play the gendang, and then the gong. But in the end, I still found myself with the Kenong once again. It's fated, I guess? *shrugs*

For a couple of days we practiced, missing classes here and there as we did so. At times, I felt incompetent and unsuitable for the task - I mean, I've never even played more than 5 times, how could I possibly even think of performing for an event? But then I thought that I had volunteered - this was no time for me to be a chicken and back out. It was a responsibility that I took upon myself and I was determined to meet my high standards and make it work. 

During our practices, there were awkward moments between me and a number of the players - specifically when the girls that I knew had left to go find the teacher. The room was filled with people that I wasn't very close with. At that time, I sat near the gong as I was just told to try playing it instead moments before. They were goofing off with the instruments at the back of the room and I turned my head and monitored their acts from where I was sitting.

They were ridiculous, singing and playing the percussions. One Direction's song, What Makes You Beautiful, was suddenly the topic of their conversation, and the boys acted it out, bromance on full gear. "They way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed," one sings and the other flips his non-existing long locks. 

I was dying to laugh, but held it in for fear of interrupting. Of course, a few chuckles under my breath escaped, but to my relief, they reacted strongly well to it and looked more inclined to goof about. 

Then they moved to the front of the room, where the piano was. I didn't move from the back of the room since I was pretty sure I couldn't do a thing with the piano, so why bother. They took seats, surrounding the relatively small piano. At first, they played seriously, creating a lovely melody and a sweet tune. An exchange of turns, and another person was playing the soundtrack of Aladdin's "A Whole New World". 

The piano had buttons installed on it and as you'd expect, the boys were up and about, pushing buttons of all sorts, making different silly noises with each press of a key. I laughed quitely from the corner of where I was. 

As time passed, it seemed that if I only sat there doing nothing but spy on them from afar, I would be missing barrels of fun. So with all my efforts, I tried to keep my cool as I walked towards the table nearing the piano. I picked up a notepad lying about and pretended to read it while stealing glances at the bunch.

Slowly and cautiously, I made a conscious effort not to make it obvious as I pulled a chair and sat. They didn't seem to mind, and continued to make beats out of the weird noises they managed to make the piano sound.

Practice progressed soon after as the missing players return.

On the day of the event, I woke up at 5:30 in the morning, without any alarms. I got ready, wearing the baju kurung that they handed me - it was a lovely yellowy-green fabric of silky texture, and although too big for me, it looked wonderful. 

Arrived at school around 7 and met up with a couple of friends. Idle talk was.. awkward. I found myself relieved when we moved to where the instruments were stored as talking felt like a drag with all the knots and butterflies in my guts. 

The setting of the instruments felt rushed - Loo-sensei was telling people to do this, and that and I was practically in the way of everything so I moved aside. Everyone looked different, a sort of aura around them was altered in a way and this also applied to my friends who weren't playing the Gamelan, but were attending the event. 

Playing was fun. People were commenting and taking photographs. The Gamelan took turns with the piano - after our song ends, the piano plays a song, and when they finish, we play our next song and etcetera. 

The event was a success and my job as a substitute ended when the players were all present and playing. I wanted to play more, honestly. But for now I'm pleased to just have been of service. There will be a chance for me again some day. And the world better wait for my debut as a Kenong-player. Wahaha!

-End   

No comments:

Post a Comment