Sunday 15 January 2012

Tokyo Boys and Girls :: Review!

So I've actually read and finished Tokyo Boys and Girls yesterday. Really didn't think I'd read it since I've been putting it off for like, two whole years. 


I quite like it. Although, the ending wasn't all that great, in my opinion. 


The manga is about this girl, Mimori - I think- who goes to this school in -yes, you guessed it- Tokyo. She's in the same class as Nana and later becomes friends with her. Across their classroom, is the guy's classroom which is where Kuniyasu and his buddy, Ran.

I don't remember when, but somewhere in the manga's earlier pages, Mimori meets this guy who (spoiler) turns out to be her friend as kids - but she doesn't know that yet. The guy, Haruta, had a dramatic change from being the sissy girly weak kid from back then into the new handsome delinquent-type guy he is now. 


Haruta suspects that Mimori was indeed the Kosaka Mimori from back then and swore to her that he'd get his revenge. The story then shifts into gear with Mimori trying to figure out what he means by that. 


Then there's the love triangle with all the characters like so:


[May contain spoilers?]

Ran, Kuniyasu's friend likes Nana. However, Nana likes Kuniyasu who has a liking towards Mimori who only has feelings (later in the manga) for Haruta who is a huge idiot

I hate how at first, I'm all for Haruta. But then he has one of his ignorant moments and runs off. So Kuniyasu comes by and he gets to working his heartthrob magic all over the damn manga pages. And the bad part is that I actually fall for his magic! I actually want to see him get the girl sometimes. But of course, the hero won't let that and then he uses one of his cute-moment bombs at me and wins my vote. This happens a lot - especially in the 4-5th volumes. 

My feelings towards the characters:

I generally like Mimori. Unlike some of a few female leads in shoujo manga, this one isn't an airhead with big sparkly eyes. She's got a decent personality and is fairly likable. 


As for her friend, Nana... well... let's just say that I don't like her all that much. Reason?
Well, I feel bad for Ran since she practically just shoves him off so easily.


If I had to rank the guys, I'd say that on a scale of one to ten, Ran gets an 8.7 for being such a sweetheart, Kuniyasu gets a 6 for being somewhat of a romantic - 4 marks deducted because he's used to it and I can't read his mind - and as for Haruta, I give his a 7 because he has his cute moments - 3 marks lost because of his ignorance.


The art is pretty good - very pleasing to the eyes. Though, sometimes the proportions gets a little unrealistic. For example, somewhere in the 4-5th volume, Haruta was watering a plant and his legs were 2/3 of his whole body. But that doesn't happen very often so it's all good. The guys have pretty awesome looks too, so that's a plus!


All in all, I give this manga a 4.6/5
Recommended for readers who enjoy reading the following:
Shoujo, Romantic Comedy, School Life, and a touch of Drama.

-End-

No comments:

Post a Comment